Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Dig in and get dirty!

Today is the first day of spring... it's seemed that the weather changed a couple of weeks ago from winter to summer... not much spring this year!  Yesterday we had a great summer day, on the last day of winter!

I had the priveledge of visiting my son's first grade classroom today to talk about gardening. 

I brought in pictures of gardens that I had at my old home... 

August 2008



a couple of years of gardens at the community garden...

2010




2011






and pictures of bounty...









and what we can make with these delicious things we grow...













and what plants need in order to grow and what helps plants to create fruits, vegetables, and seeds...





Then I showed them how a root-bound basil plant looked.  They explored by touching the roots and then watched me repot the basil.

After that the children each planted a sunflower seed and two basil seeds in peat pots that I had left over from previous growing seasons. [On a side note, last week while listening to the radio I learned that peat moss is not a renewable resource.  I will no longer be purchasing peat products in order to do my part to conserve that natural resource.]

We closed with Q & A - mostly stories from them, but some good questions about how to get a plant to come back after it dies.  We talked about perennials and self-seeding annuals - how they can come back.  Everything has a life cycle.  We also talked about how it's more economical to purchase a $3 packet of organic basil seed than to buy a $3 organic basil plant.  I told them that they could save the seeds from plants in the garden and use those for free in the future!

I left them with the seeds to grow in the classroom and a Highlights Hidden Picture - Preparing for Spring.

I had such a great time!  It was so fun to go into the classroom and teach again - without all of the other stuff tied to the profession.  I really do enjoy teaching children about gardening.  I hope to be able to do this annually for my boys' classes.

I encourage you to get your hands dirty during this growing season... whether you garden at home, in containers, in raised beds, in the community garden, or on your kitchen windowsil - buy a packet of seeds or transplants and grow something delicious!  It doesn't take a lot of time, but it gives a lot back!  Your wallet and your waistline will be grateful!  I would love for you to come back and comment with links to pictures of your home/community gardens!

Thanks for reading and have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment