Monday, December 5, 2011

What do you do?

At the craft fair on Saturday, a woman walked up to my booth and asked me, "What do you do?"
I responded with, "I make all of the items you see here."
Which to she responded, "No, I mean do you make those infant headbands?"
I responded, "No, but I make hats and other baby items."
My response was met with, "Oh," and she walked away.
I was confused by the exchange because I could plainly see what I do by my display and I thought it was self-evident.  If I was to make infant headbands (by which I think she meant the stretchy ones with the huge silk flower attached), then I would have them displayed.

Over the past two days I've been thinking about her initial question.
What do I do?
I would describe myself as a fiber and paper artisan.
I take raw materials - yarn, recycled cashmere, wool, vintage buttons, paper, embellishments and create things of beauty - clothing, accessories, and stationary items.
Sometimes consumable - although many people keep handmade cards.
Most are works of art that are both functional and beautiful.  They can be passed down through generations, cherished by many.

I create many of my pieces because it is good for my soul.  I pray while I crochet, handstitch, and create cards.  I find peace in my work.  It is a little time in the day that I have with God, away from everyday demands.  I'm better equipped to be a good mother, wife, and friend when I have this time to create these things of beauty and spend quality time in God's presence.

It brings me great pleasure to share my gift with others.

Thank you for reading and have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment