Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Why is Handmade SO Expensive?

You may have visited my website and said to yourself - I can find something at Target, Walmart, Macy's, Kohls or wherever for a fraction of the price - why would I spend $40 on a cowl?
This article explains the intricacies of how handcrafters price - or should price - their handmade merchandise.
http://whatthecraft.com/overpriced-cant-afford-handmade-pricing/

I am one of those handcrafters who is still trying to figure out pricing.  I've been keeping better track of my time as I make crochet items - something that's harder with certain pieces as they're long-term projects.  I know how much time it takes to make my felted flowers, depending on design.  I know how much time I put into making cards, gift tags, and favor bags.  I know how much my materials cost.  I have a formula that I use and I am not getting "paid" $20/hour for my work.  I am not getting paid for overhead.  I work hard in my little spare time while raising my boys, running our home and being a faithful & involved Christian.  What I can design, make, photograph, list, and advertise in my "spare time" amazes me.

I think that we should all reconsider how much we're willing to spend on big box store wares and how much farther that dollar could go if we support the independent craftspeople in our community.  Think about it, pray about it.  If you can afford it, love it, and can use it - then support the craftspeople in your community.  For sure you'll have & enjoy these handcrafted items far longer than the big box items.

Thanks for reading & have a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. Great point! In addition to supporting local culture there's the spirit of the crafter that lingers in handmade items. Knowing someone lovingly created something that I treasure makes it all the more special. Not to mention the bragging rights a handmade conversation piece gives opposed to something mass produced in a factory in China.

    ReplyDelete